Atheer & Design Interactive Webinar | Transforming Trucking Maintenance with Augmented Reality
Wednesday 29 August ’18 – 10 am Pacific/1 pm Eastern/6 pm UK/7 pm CET
Augmented Reality (AR) offers the promise of transforming one of the biggest challenges facing companies large and small across the trucking industry: servicing and maintaining their fleet in a way that quickly and safely gets trucks back on the road quickly. We’ll share the secrets and lessons learned from industry leaders on the impact of AR – from reducing vehicle downtime to optimizing fleet management.
We’ll start by putting trucking maintenance in context within the broader challenges facing the whole trucking industry. While many people are aware of the acute driver shortages highlighted in stories like this one from The Washington Post on June 28 2018, the issue of how trucks get serviced has received less attention.
Trucking companies are facing growing delays in trucking service caused by a shortage of skilled, experienced service technicians alongside increasingly complex modern truck designs that require specialized diagnostic equipment to service.
The bottom line is that if a truck is off the road, the company (or person) that owns it does not make money and neither does the driver – who is a big stakeholder in this (especially when the driver is also the owner operator). Asset utilization is the key performance indicator in trucking.
In this Webinar, we’ll explore how Augmented Reality technology helps meet the trucking industry’s downtime challenge in two ways. Firstly, it provides a way of using smart glasses (specialized industrial glasses that contain the communications capabilities and power of a high-end smartphone) to conduct “see what I see” video conferencing with remote experts who can help less-experienced mechanics at a dealership’s repair facility to understand the nature of a given technical problem, assist with remote diagnosis and walk the local mechanic through the steps needed to make the repair.
Secondly, the expert technicians can use their smart glasses (along with specialized software) to systematically record the steps they take to make a given truck repair – and then make that set of instructions available to all technicians across the organization. Imagine the efficiency gained by empowering technicians in the field to share “tried and true” troubleshooting methods to their counterparts across the enterprise with a single click.
During this webinar, attendees will learn:
- What are the biggest trucking maintenance issues impacting trucking companies
- How AR can make an immediate and measurable difference in getting trucks back on the road
- The long-term value that AR will provide to not only trucking companies, but also the entire trucking maintenance industry supply chain
- How trucking maintenance work instructions and insights can be dynamically authored, edited and broadly distributed in a way that capture the knowledge of experts and preserves their insights
- Geof Wheelwright – Moderator and Director of Marketing Communications at Atheer
- Matt Johnston – Director, Consumer Experience, Design Interactive, Inc.
- Bill Brown, Chairman, Technology & Maintenance Council’s Future Truck Committee
- Duke Drinkard, Past Chairman of Technology and Maintenance Council
This is a “must attend” webinar for anyone interested in learning about how AR will transform the trucking industry – and the best practices that will help make trucking companies successful with AR
To register for this event, click here